On 10 December 2013 the European Parliament voted on and approved the external action instruments under the Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) 2014 - 2020, including the Development Cooperation Instrument. After three years of negotiations this marks the end of the MFF process just before the start of 2014.
On 2 December 2013 the European Council adopted the regulation on the MFF 2014-2020 after the European Parliament gave its consent to it on 19 November 2013. The funding confirms the earlier political agreement of the European Council in February 2013.
Whereas the overall budget of the MFF and for the heading “Global Europe” was already agreed on, the decisions were now taken for the implementing rules and instruments under this budget heading.
Funds of €51 billion for 2014-2020 cover pre-accession assistance, neighbouring and partner countries, and peace-keeping, democracy and human-rights actions:
• Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA): €11,699 million
• European Neighbourhood Instrument (ENI): €15,433 million
• Development Cooperation Instrument (DCI): €19,662 million
• Partnership Instrument (PI): €955 million
• Instrument contributing to Stability and Peace (IfSP): €2,339 million
• European Instrument for Democracy & Human Rights (EIDHR): €1,333 million
A detailed overview on the instruments can be found on the EC website.