- respect and promote human rights and social justice
- embody gender equality and equity while promoting woman and girl’s rights
- focus on people’s empowerment, democratic ownership and participation
- promote environmental sustainability
- practice transparency and accountability
- pursue equitable partnerships and solidarity
- create and share knowledge and commit to mutual learning
- commit to realizing positive sustainable change (outcomes and impact)
These principles will be the basis for a comprehensive global framework of CSO development effectiveness that will be completed over the next couple of months by interested CSOs in the Open Forum. They will also inform a multi-stakeholder dialogue in the run-up to the High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness in South Korea in late 2011.
The Open Forum for CSO Development Effectiveness is an initiative conceived of and led by a diverse coalition of CSOs from around the world to identify the elements that are essential to the development effectiveness of CSOs. This process is unique in its effort to create a global CSO consensus on the principles to which we hold ourselves accountable and to which we wish to be held accountable by the constituencies we serve and represent, by our fellow CSOs, and by donors.